Join
View: 167|Reply: 19
Collapse the left

[Discussion] Authors you Admire !

[Copy link]
Post time: 11-4-2020 15:15:10
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

I am an avid reader ,I've read all genera and for many authors ,but I always comeback to this great author ( Gerogette Heyer ) Here Some interesting facts about Georgette:

She was born in Wimbledon, London in 1902.

Georgette was named after her father, George Heyer.

Her mother was one of the top three students in her class at the Royal College of Music.

Georgette’s maternal grandparents owned tugboats on the River Themes.

Her father served as a requisitions officer for the British Army in France in WW I.

The Heyer family switched the pronunciation of their surname from “higher” to “hair” at the start of WW I to avoid being mistaken for Germans.

Georgette’s writing career started in 1921.

After 1926 she refused to promote her books and do interviews because her book “These Old Shades” was published during the UK general strike resulting in no press coverage and still sold 190,000 copies.

She refused to give interviews, contending that her private life was no one else’s business.

People give Heyer credit for creating the genre of Regency romance.

Her books were set between 1752 and 1825 even though the actual British Regency period only lasted from 1811 to 1820.

Georgette met her husband, George Ronald Rougier, while on family holiday in 1920. They married in 1925.

At one point in time, Heyer and her husband lived in a hut made of elephant grass located in the bush of the East African territory of Tanganyika.

She almost died in 1928 when a dentist improperly administered an anesthetic.

At her time of her death she owned over 1,000 historical reference books.

To minimize her tax liability, Heyer formed a limited liability company called Heron Enterprise around 1950 so her royalties were paid to the company and then the company would pay her.

She smoked 60-80 cork-tipped cigarettes each day, but she claimed she didn’t inhale.

Georgette was diagnosed with lung cancer and a few years later died on July 4, 1974.

Her fans learned her married name from her obituaries.

Tell me about your favorite author !

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-4-2020 19:34:33
| Show all posts
I love Georgette Heyer and enjoyed reading about her. Thanks!

One of my favorite writers is Haruki Murakami. Unfortunately I dont know much about him except that hes a jazz enthusiast and a runner. I love the new japanese writers. Lots of translations coming out now.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 11-4-2020 20:23:29
| Show all posts
Image enbee Image 11-4-2020 07:34 PM
I love Georgette Heyer and enjoyed reading about her. Thanks!

One of my favorite writers is Haruki ...

Hi, so I'm very curious by nature so I went and googled some interesting facts about Haruki
1.He started writing his first novel in English before switching to Japanese.

2.At one time, he didn’t want his first two novels translated into English.
3.He is a translator, but he doesn’t translate his own novels.
4. He writes without a plan.
5.  He doesn’t like deadlines.( I liked this one !)
6.His wife’s opinion is important. ( should be thr rule for all writers !)

Use magic Report

Post time: 12-4-2020 19:31:11
| Show all posts
O thank you!  Have you read anything by him? My favorite of his books is 'kafka on the shore'. When life gets to be too much and I need to phase out and remember how weird things actually are, I read that book.  
Which ones of  G Heyer do you particularly like? I remember reading 'The grand sophy' and falling in love.

Use magic Report

Post time: 22-4-2020 19:11:16
| Show all posts
Arthur Conan Doyle.

I like his Sherlock Holmes Collection.

He trained as a surgeon

Was a professional cricketer

Wrote a book entitled, 'The Lost World' about dinosaurs (before the term was popularised)

Had a great friendship with Harry Houdini

Was an amateur detective

Was a leading spiritualist

Use magic Report

Post time: 24-4-2020 00:08:48
| Show all posts
My favourite author is Jeffrey Archer.

He is a British author who served as a Member of Parliament and is also a peer of the realm (Lord of Weston-Super-Mare). He was involved in a financial scandal for which he was in prison but managed to write three books based on his experience in prison which sold very well.

He is very famous for his novel Kane and Abel and its sequel The Prodigal Daughter.

His specialty are his short stories. Many of them are based on real life incidents or stories heard from inmates in prison.

Some of his best books include:

As the Crow Flies
Prisoner of Birth
Kane and Abel
Prodigal Daughter
False Impression
First Among Equals... well almost all of his books actually because I have read all of them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 8-5-2020 15:25:41
| Show all posts
My favorite writer is Shrilal Shukla who wrote Hindi bestseller "Rag Darbari". He wrote this book in 1968 about rural North India. Perhaps the best satire on the life of rural India. He saw this area as a IAS working for Govt.

Use magic Report

Post time: 9-5-2020 12:27:07
| Show all posts
John Grisham, Jeffery Archer , frederick Forsyth and Dan Brown

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-5-2020 07:37:16
| Show all posts
My favorite authors are Dan brown and J K Rowling.
Dan does take time to launch a book but his books are filled with knowledge and thriller.
J K Rowling has amazing writing style, although she has become nutcase nowadays but still harry potter series is something i still look up-to  when I am writing

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-5-2020 10:52:33
| Show all posts
I admire stories rather than authors, somehow i would forget the author's name but would always remember a story i have read

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-106553710-1

25-5-2020 03:55 AM GMT+5.5