Forgot password?
 Join
View: 426|Reply: 9
Collapse the left

[Book Reviews] Kalki Series by Kevin Missal

[Copy link]
Post time: 3-7-2020 14:00:14
| Show all posts |Read mode

Whenever there is a decline in righteousness and an upsurge in unrighteousness, at that time, I take birth again.
- LORD GOVIND.
Born in the quiet village of Shambala, Kalki Hari, son of Vishnuyath and Sumati, has no idea about his heritage until he is pitted against tragedies and battles.
Whisked into the province of Keekatpur, which is under the fist of Lord Kali, Kalki sees the ignominy of death trumping life all around him. He learns that he has been born to cleanse the world he lives in, for which he must journey to the North and learn the ways of Lord Vishnu’s Avatar; from an immortal who wields an axe.
But trapped in the midst of betrayals, political intrigue and forces that seek to decimate him, will he be able to follow his destiny before the Kaliyug begins?

Review:

I have been looking to read some good books in the mytho fiction genre especailly written by Indians. Had stumbled upon this series while browsing on Amazon. I must say that it is a good attempt by a young author to write. But if one looks at the work expecting anything more than that, one would be seriously disappointed.

The story revolves around Kalki the ultimate saviour of our race and his journey and battles. The plot is good but I found it dragging in many places. Also many characters have been given unusual space despite no significant contribution by them in overall plot. I saw missed opportunities, threads which if given more time and space would have made the story a lot more meatier and better. The action scenes are just too lame. They start abruptly and end abruptly. There have been instances when that particular scene would have made the whole book stand out but writer couldn't spend much time on it.

The writer has tried to give rational explanation to some of the past events and myths we have heard for a long time. But unlike Amish who has been able to twist the whole story and show all the characters as humans who later became legends, the writer still tries to keep working to prove them as more than human and this creates a discord with overall plot.

Climax just fizzled out and left me utterly disappointed.

I would give this book 2.5/5. Frankly couldn't understand the reason for so many rave reviews for this work.

It can be accessed here
https://www.craxme.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4760&highlight=kevin%2Bmissal

Thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 31-7-2020 00:38:37
| Show all posts
Lame action scene is the most prominent weakness of the author IMO. There are so many missed opportunities through out the series, where a better written action scene could have kept our adrenaline pumping. Also ending felt a bit rushed. Though the author is pretty young. As of now, he has both time and scope for improvement.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 31-7-2020 10:37:58
| Show all posts
Arunita 31-7-2020 12:38 AM
Lame action scene is the most prominent weakness of the author IMO. There are so many missed opportu ...

Completely agree with you on your review. And yes there is huge scope of improvement

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-8-2020 18:06:07
| Show all posts
The series seems to be inspired by success of Amish Tripathi's work. Disappointing to see it's not up to the mark.

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-8-2020 21:29:11
| Show all posts
Edited by Arunita at 12-8-2020 11:51 PM

The ongoing fascination all around of Amish also bewilders me, to be honest. Shiva trilogy was good plot wise but his writing style always needed a good brush up.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 12-8-2020 10:08:32
| Show all posts
Arunita 11-8-2020 09:29 PM
The ongoing fascination all around of Amish also bewilders me to be honest. Shiva trilogy was good p ...

In his quest to make things simple and explain things in a modern perspective, I believe he has missed somthing. Like the old world charm

Use magic Report

Post time: 13-8-2020 00:02:05
| Show all posts
Edited by Arunita at 13-8-2020 12:11 AM
divey 12-8-2020 10:08 AM
In his quest to make things simple and explain things in a modern perspective, I believe he has mi ...

Exactly..his version of 'modern perspective' had very fast turned into a mockery of the old world values. In my personal opinion, he is a better speaker than a writer. Recently stumbled upon one of his interviews on twitter. He is much more articulate in that interview than he is in any of his books. Irony is that those books could have been better edited and certainly could have used a caring finishing touch.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 13-8-2020 10:32:51
| Show all posts
Arunita 13-8-2020 12:02 AM
Exactly..his version of 'modern perspective' had very fast turned into a mockery of the old w ...

Yes, has also heard his interview on twitter. He has right ideas though, with some more writers working with him like a guild maybe he can come out with some masterpiece.

Use magic Report

Post time: 13-8-2020 22:39:37
| Show all posts
divey 13-8-2020 10:32 AM
Yes, has also heard his interview on twitter. He has right ideas though, with some more writers wo ...

Yes..I too appreciate his ideas. I used to think that he does have a bunch of authors at his disposal. If he doesn't, then that should be his first priority before getting his hands on the next series.

Use magic Report

Post time: 11-10-2020 07:17:57
| Show all posts
Thanks for posting reviews about this book. I am surprised that I have never heard about it. I will definitely give it a try.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-61109590-2

21-10-2020 05:12 AM GMT+5.5