Forgot password?
 Join
View: 205|Reply: 7
Collapse the left

[Quotes] The Mind of Sherlock Holmes: According to Himself

[Copy link]
Post time: 30-7-2020 07:18:23
| Show all posts |Read mode
"My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere."

Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of the Four.

Use magic Report

Post time: 20-8-2020 01:34:35
| Show all posts
An amazing literary character . Practically the Moses of Detective Fiction standing on the mount with the the tablets

Use magic Report

Post time: 24-8-2020 00:12:06
| Show all posts
That first line kinda defines Sherlock Holmes. And explains his addiction to dangerous drugs (cocaine no less ), to escape boredom

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 28-8-2020 04:14:33
| Show all posts
Image Arunita Image 24-8-2020 12:12 AM
That first line kinda defines Sherlock Holmes. And explains his addiction to dangerous drugs (cocain ...

In some ways, it is a paradox of self control, intellectual responsibility and in a sense creative imagination. Why would someone resort to drugs for release from emptiness.

At the same time there is some semblance of reason to this; loneliness, an acute absence of true friendship, social interaction with like minded individuals and collective organisations that could help him from isolation and despondentness.

Even highly analytical investigative minds need social purpose, belonging and a close circle of loyal and professional colleagues and friends.

Sherlock Holmes in hindsight appears to be a cold, mysterious, even distant and frozen figure- to be admired, but not fully understood.   

Use magic Report

Post time: 28-8-2020 16:58:50
| Show all posts
I was very young when I got my hands on Sherlock Holmes for the first time. I wasn't mature enough to understand human psychology and the complexities of it. So, I had a hard time admiring him only because of his addiction to drugs.
You are absolutely right about the significance of social interactions in our lives. Even being an introvert and kinda recluse myself, I craved for my day to day dosages of chit chat with co passengers and colleagues during the lockdown period that we had to go through a few months ago. A little bit of social interaction is a necessity in everyone's life. It keeps us sane. It must be hard for a genius like Sherlock Holmes to almost never come across a person who can match his wit. His boredom is understandable.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 6-9-2020 17:55:27
| Show all posts
Image Arunita Image 28-8-2020 04:58 PM
I was very young when I got my hands on Sherlock Holmes for the first time. I wasn't mature enough t ...

In the story, 'A Scandal in Bohemia', Holmes unexpectedly does meet someone who is if not his equal, the only person in the Conan Doyle collection, to outsmart him. Irene Adler, an American oper singer of fortune, who had a relationship with a Bohemian prince.

The story occurs in 1888 and a hereditary king seeks Holmes services to recover a photograph of the monarch and Adler together when he was ot yet engaged to his current fiancee, a scandanavian princess. The monarch's fears are that the photograph's existence could threaten his marriage and despite his own efforts, he could not retrieve them, hence his interest in soliciting Holmes's assistance.

Holmes finds a way of locating the photograph, by using false pretenses and then entering the premises to forcibly take them, this time as himself and not as the vicar as he had portrayed himself the previous day to gain her trust and be accepted as a guest in her home.

Adler however, discovers quickly that she had  inadvertently led him to her secret hiding place where she kept the photograph. She keeps her cool however and then questions him as to what kind of a person would want to commit arson to a property (which Watson had been instructed to make it look like) and Holmes responded accordingly.

When Holmes came the following day, Adler had already left along with the photograph and a message for him to say he had been expected. Watson narrated at the end of the story Holmes admired her from that day forward for her ability to outwit him. He had not been attarcted to her, nor was he interested in her as a possible wife but he kept her memory as the only one to have not been caught by him.   

Use magic Report

Post time: 7-9-2020 00:22:52
| Show all posts
Rushcourt71 6-9-2020 05:55 PM
In the story, 'A Scandal in Bohemia', Holmes unexpectedly does meet someone who is if not his equa ...

Yeah, I have read the story. :-) She is the one considering whom I have put the 'almost' before the'never met an equal'. I find her one of the most interesting characters in sherlock Holmes series inspite of her very limited period of presence. She could have been explored more by the author. Loved that story.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 14-9-2020 02:22:38
| Show all posts
Image Arunita Image 7-9-2020 12:22 AM
Yeah, I have read the story. :-) She is the one considering whom I have put the 'almost' before th ...

True. I thought a sequel would have been better. If not then at least anothger story ore stories with her as a recurring character. In this way, we would see a determined, resilient and more daring Sherlock Holmers intent on revenge, a counter strike and some form of idealistioc crusade to prove himself.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Join

Points Rules

Mobile|Dark room|CraxMe UA-61109590-2

25-9-2020 12:34 AM GMT+5.5